Poker Game Rules
As you can see from the poker variants above, the reality is that each game has its own rules and gameplay quirks. Despite this, once you get to understand some general and generic rules, you will find it much easier to play any variant you wish.
The bottom line of poker games is practically the same with any variation – have a stronger hand than your opponents.
With all that in mind, here, for the sake of this article, we will cover the rules of Texas Hold’em – arguably the most attractive poker game among Kiwis these days.
Part of its popularity comes from the fact that Texas Hold’em has relatively straightforward rules. The gameplay occurs in five stages here:
- All players get their cards, after which you will need to place your initial bet
- Now, it is time for the Community cards, after which a round of betting follows
- The fourth card is dealt now, and of course, a new betting round follows
- All players get the fifth and final card, with the cycle being closed with one more betting round
- The showdown now takes centre stage, where players need to reveal their hands and see who is the winner!
Bonuses Available at NZ Poker Sites
Plenty of Kiwis will say that casino bonuses are the most important pillars that can determine the success of any poker site. It is hard to argue against that claim, as promotions are tools that both players and operators benefit from.
You can use bonuses to increase your bankroll and potentially secure yourself some bigger wins along the way. All reliable operators in our lists have tons of bonus offers that will accompany you in each stage of your gambling journey.
We start with a bonus that all newly registered players at poker sites get – a welcome bonus. Of course, the nature of the bonus can vary from one site to another, but one thing is sure – you can expect a hefty reward that can boost your bankroll.
Usually, you can expect to get a deposit match bonus once you make your first deposit up to a certain sum and percentage. As an example, a welcome bonus may see you get 100% up to NZ$100 for your first deposit when playing poker games.
Please note here that welcome bonuses at poker sites in New Zealand tend to have long terms and conditions, but you will be wise to read them in detail. They contain important information, such as bonus duration, wagering requirements, eligible poker games, and so on.
Reload bonuses, similar to welcome packages, are designed for experienced players who want constant rewards. These bonuses may offer a personalised touch as part of your VIP status, or they may be standard offers available to all registered users.
Whichever form they take, reload bonuses are designed to increase your potential earnings and provide a valuable opportunity to enhance your overall gaming experience.
As the name itself suggests, no-deposit bonuses won’t require you to make any deposit when claiming the offer. There are a couple of no-deposit bonuses you can get at our suggested poker sites:
- Free cash offers – a straightforward offer that can see you get a free cash incentive to play certain poker games. Of course, these funds are not withdrawable, as you will need to play through that amount a certain number of times before requesting a payout.
- Cashback – cashback bonuses are very popular among poker players and it is easy to see why. They allow you to retrieve some of your losses during a certain gambling period (usually a week). The cashback percentage varies from one site to another. Don’t be surprised to see cashback bonuses with no wagering requirements.
The number of mobile device users in New Zealand rises all the time, so the need for mobile poker casino apps grows all the time. For that reason, some mobile casino sites will offer some interesting bonuses to all users who download and use the app to play poker games.
The nature of the bonus can vary, so this is something you need to check with the operator.
Finally, we cannot neglect the importance of Loyalty Programs at prominent poker sites in New Zealand. These operators take great care in making sure all their loyal players are well taken care of, so the VIP Program is there to reward them.
Once you make your first deposit on the site, you can expect to enter the first VIP level. The more real-money poker bets you place, the more levels you will climb, and the better the rewards will be:
- Special birthday bonuses
- Personal VIP manager
- Better cashback offers
- Initiations to special events
- Personalized bonuses
- Faster payouts
Quick Tips for Winning More at Poker Sites
Even though online poker is a straightforward game to play, it doesn’t mean that you are guaranteed a win when you get around its basics. There is no winning formula that will guarantee you profits, but there are some quick tips we can recommend you can use to boost your chances of winning:
- Pay attention to how others bet – you cannot read body language in online poker, but you will be wise to notice how their betting pattern looks.
- Position is important – your position at the poker table matters, as it will determine your turn to place bets.
- Be patient – patient, tight and aggressive players tend to have more success than others in online poker. Make sure to only play when you have a solid hand, and avoid bluffing, especially if you are a new player.
- Stick to what you know – you might feel adventurous and want to try out new poker variants, but we will recommend you stick to what you know when you play for real money.
- Know your poker hands – of course, the golden rule of online poker is to know how poker hands work exactly. The bare minimum you can do in poker is to completely understand your hand.
Mobile Poker Sites
The New Zealand smartphone market grows each year, so as you can imagine, the online gambling industry is also impacted by that.
Nowadays, it is rare to see a player from New Zealand preferring desktop computers to mobile phones for their poker gaming adventure. It is easy to understand why, as nothing can match the convenience and arguably the better graphics that come with mobile poker gambling.
Therefore, the best operators from our lists above always think mobile-first. Either they have fully mobile-friendly websites or they have mobile apps you can download for free.